Monday 3 September 2012

Assassin's Creed 2 Yet Again!?

I thought I'd finished this game.

(Please see my previous entries about this game which came in December 2011 and April 2012.)

Well I did finish it but it's so good that I kept thinking about it and have gone back to it's beautiful depiction of Renaissance Italy.  I wiped my previous saves and started from the beginning.  I was worried that my trophies might also get wiped but no such problems.  I looked through to see which ones I did not get and was amazed at the ease of some of them.  They were just for things which I did not attempt much.  One was for hiding five bodies in piles of leaves.

I am going to try harder to find feathers this time, and to find as many treasure chests as I can without the aid of treasure maps.  I think I got fifty-something feathers last time so I would like to try to get at least 70 this time, though that does not sound too ambitious now as I type it.  Let's say at least 80.

While I has playing I had the thought that I would be sorry if I did not play this game at least five times in total.  Then I realised that by "in total" I actually meant "before I die".  This made my think two things.  The first was, will I really be playing this or any other game when I'm an old man?  Of course, I don't know the answer.  Perhaps I will have terrible arthritis and not be able to play.  I might even have gone blind.  The second thing I thought was: am I measuring out what is left of my life and imagining what I can do in the time.  I am only 40.  It is extremely plausible that a man of my generation might live to be 80.  Isn't it a bit soon to be planning ahead like this?

Since I last wrote an entry I have finished Red Dead Redemption which was great except for the end.  The event to which the plot had been leading happened in a cut scene and then the game just banged on for w while with some really boring tasks to do until another significant event happened (which this time felt crowbared in).  It was possible to continue playing after that but only to finish off any unfinished tasks and I didn't feel too incentivised so I left it.  But I don't want to end on a sour note because I had great fun with this game and would recommend it too all.

I went away to a family wedding and talked about games with my ten year old cousin once removed who was of the confused opinion that the Xbox 360 was better than the PS3.  That naivety aside I was not sure how to feel about the fact that he had played many games which were rated 15 or over.  I suppose it is really his parents decision but there are things in some of the games he mentioned which I would not want to think of a ten year old being exposed to on a regular basis.  Still, he seems to be a normal, emotionally healthy and even quite sensitive kid so I suppose these games have not corrupted him.

I have started playing Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing lately and it's great fun with plenty of content but does my head in because of the high speed and high levels of camara movement so I can only play for a bit at a time.

I have bought both Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and SpaceChem with its DLC when they were on offer on Steam and have played quite a bit of Forged Alliance already and it is great and though I have not played SpaceChem yet I did play a demo of it which came with an copy of PC Gamer a while ago and I know it will take up days of my life.

I bought Rage cheaply in the supermarket and although I do not like to pass judgement too directly on games I was dissapointed by this one.  It is like Borderlands with the fun taken out.  Everyone in the towns tells you what a great guy you are (the most wince-making thing that ever happens in any game and it happens to excess, here), and then you go out and shoot some bandits.  Repeat.  The vehicles drive quite nicely, though.

I'll write again sooner this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment