Sunday 17 June 2012

Not Devine, But Still Good.

I'm back to playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the break I've had from it is making it hard for me to concentrate on the plot.  There are several different Corporations and interests and I can't remember who I'm working for half the time.

The game remains excellent, but I have had slight problems with the shooting.  The first and most serious is that I am bad at it.  The second is that I seem to resort to it all the time.  It somehow seems more comforting to kill enemies rather than sneaking around them and risk being caught.  If I instigate a firefight I know where I stand.  The frustrating thing is that when I do remember to use stealth I find it quite effective as long as I concentrate and don't get lazy.

I am about to attempt a side quest which involves taking down a group of suited goons without killing any of them (this is happening in China), and Jensen is currently crouching behind a concrete pillar and I can see them on the screen engaging in their clockwork patrols.  I will be extremely pleased with myself if I can take them all down without alerting any others to my presence but I think the best I can hope for really is to do the task by hook or by crook.

I have only done two of the reputedly terrible boss fights from this game so far.  I have, of course, died several times in both but not had to repeat either as many times as I might have expected.  With the big burly guy I found a corner where you could take cover from him so that he could not shoot you.  He can still get you when he throws a hand full of grenades, but if you turn and empty a clip into him every time he has to reload and just keep your head down otherwise you will get him after a handful of tries at most.

The second one is the electrical chick.  I slightly fluked this but I think I get some credit.  The second time she hit me with her main attack I used the typhoon on her while she was dazed and then the machine pistol at close range and kept firing with the same gun as she ran away.  She was supposed to be invisible at this stage but I think  her cloak might have been failing because there was a shimmering image of her.  As I was firing she became fully visible and started to fall over and then it went to the cut scene.  More relief than joy!

I will try to play to the end of the game if I don't get bored before then and then I'm going back to NFS ProStreet.

No comments:

Post a Comment