Tuesday 24 July 2012

GTI Racing

What I played of this game was not all that great.


The game was made in 2007 (according to Steam) which was the same year as Need For Speed Pro Street and there is no comparison between the graphics of GTI Racing, which are very much of the previous generation, and those of NFS PS, which has much more of the look of the current gen.  I appreciate that this game would not have had the same resources put into it as an NFS game and would have been cheaper at the time of launch.  Graphics are not a serious issue if the game is good otherwise, so I don't see this as a serious problem.

The car was not really going as fast as it appears.


The one thing that makes it fun is the Germanic sounding electro soundtrack which gives it a lively feel.  Sadly the driving itself lacks Germanic precision, with the cars' reactions to bumping into things or going over rough ground being sometimes imperfect, though not terrible.

In one race I was infuriated to cross the line first, have it acknowledged that I had come first on the results screen but on the next screen be awarded a bronze trophy and given the third place prize money.  Aaaaargh, the injustice!

The game's main problem is that most of the races were plain road races and these are a bit much of a muchness.  There is some drifting, which to start with I found impossible because I started with a rubbish car and it was hard to drift through a corner and maintain enough speed to do a good drift through the next one, the corners coming one after another.  There are also some races were you had to drive cross country from one column of light to another, then another etc.  These reminded me sharply of the races in Assassin's Creed II and are enjoyable and more challenging than some of the road races.

Car approaches power station.


My own performance seemed okay, but that might have been because the game was a bit easy.  I am not going to give myself scores out of 10 because it was hard to judge how well I was doing.  I might drop this feature altogether, as I started doing it a bit impulsively and I'm not crazy about it.  We'll see.

I don't know if or when I will go back to this game, but I had some fun playing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment