Wednesday 4 September 2013

God of War Chains of Olympus for PSP


I am slightly scared of this game.  It is excellent but it seems to have got the better of me and when I think of playing it I feel a bit intimidated and I honestly believe that I spent the whole evening watching TV last night in order to avoid it.
 
I am trying to get through an arena where there are several birds which attack me, two weapons which fly on rails from one side of the circle to the other at regular intervals, one perpendicular to the other, and two large enemies who shield themselves instantaneously when attacked.  I have been advised that the combo square square triangle is the way to break through their shields but I find that once I hit triangle I am immediately flattened by the enemy I'm attacking.
 
The Ghost of Sparta looking at his most ghostly.

Because of these failures I have moved on to a new method for getting through this stage and it is also not working.  I am entering this section with only enough magic for one special attack and most normal attacks end in disaster so my method is now to first finish off all the birds in the arena and second use primarily my shield to attack the larger enemies.  Defending from their attacks is easy and you just have to keep your shield up and you won't take any damage, though you will be pushed backwards.  However, you can use the shield to reflect their attacks back onto them by pressing L and triangle at the same time, but this has to be done with pretty good timing or you get hit by that attack and probably another one or two as it takes time to recover and get your shield up.

There are definite signs that my strategy is having some effect as a message comes up on the screen saying "2 hits" when I do it, implying that both enemies have been effect, but despite some pretty long lasting scraps of this kind I have never survived long enough to see the O appear above the head of either enemy to imply that I can now execute the finishing move on them.  This is a pity because the finishing move for these enemies is pretty easy.

I am going to pick this game up again today and one way or another I will get past this fight.

Otherwise the game is excellent.  Some of the fighting is hard and sometimes you find you are dumped into a difficult encounter with none of the magic required to win it or only a sliver of life left.  The plot is a bit far fetched but that is the nature of the game and not to be criticised.  There is an interesting mix of enemies and there seems to be plenty of content and I always put it down thinking what a great game it is despite the frustrations I might have experienced when playing it and I think that it always the real test.

I have now bought Little Big Planet for PSP and will hopefully be writing about it soon.

I do some voluntary work at a local charity shop and today they had some XBOX 360 controllers which I was able to buy cheaply as they are not able to sell electrical goods to the public.  Hopefully they will work okay with the PC.  They have installed themselves but as I am not allowing myself to play on the PC or console at the moment I have not been able to properly test them.

No comments:

Post a Comment