Monday 22 July 2013

Dead Space - PS3

This is my first entry for about a million years and I am making no promises about writing more in the future but it entered my head to say a bit about boss fights.

What I have been attempting to get through in Dead Space recently is not a boss fight in the conventional sense.  I am not fighting a single huge monster.

However, it is a section of the game which takes place in a different type of environment to most of the gameplay and the technique required is different to most of the game and, most significantly, it is clearly designed to be harder than most of the rest of the game.  There is a save station just beside the point where is takes place.

I am now fed up with materialising next to that save station and getting into the seat of the gun from which I have to shoot down asteroids to prevent the USG Ishimura's hull integrity from falling bellow 0%, while my colleague issue's unrealistic radio update's about how long I've got to keep it up for and a female automated voice reminds me how slim my chance's are by commenting on the state of the hull.

It puzzles me why it should be necessary to make one section of the game so much more difficult than the rest.  I love Dead Space but Visceral would do well not to test my devotion by frustrating me in this way.  There are a lot of games out there.

Still, since most of those other games also have irritating boss fights I might as well stick it out and try to get through it.

It occurred to me last night that if there was a more skillful gamer in the room I could hand the controller over to them and let them play through it for me with a clear conscience as it is clearly a stupid, annoying and pointless part of the game (I wasn't getting frustrated), but I new as soon as I'd thought it that I would not do this.  If I did it would not be me who had played through the whole game.  I suspect that this is the mentality of a lot of gamers and so cannot help thinking that developers put boss fights in because they hate us and like to imagine our impotent little tantrums.

Or perhaps that's just me...

No comments:

Post a Comment