Saturday 17 August 2013

Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition and Borderlands

I have been playing GT5 on the PS3 lately and it is a hard task master.

In the career mode there are several different types of challenge.  The simplest (though not necessarily easiest) are the tutorials which often involve just driving a short stretch of track in a precise way in order to learn to take the best line at corners or similar.  To get the gold trophy requires great precision but I am a masochist and always make myself do them repeatedly until I've cracked it.


Seasonal Events vary in difficulty and tend to require a specific vehicle type which I am not always able to access which is a bit annoying but they are enjoyable, if generally tough, races.

A-Spec Events represent your main career progression as a driver.  I have only done the beginner level events so far and they are fun and not too challenging but there are four harder levels to go.

That represents most of what I've done so far.  There are other things to do but I've not got into them enough to write about them.

I've been back to playing Borderlands on the PC.  I have no saved games on my existing PC and I wanted to do a quick play through so that I can then buy and play the extra content.


This time I'm playing as the soldier and as with my previous play throughs I am constantly forgetting to use his special ability which is deploying a turret which has a shield which I can crouch behind.

I have been enjoying the game and as usual am finding it highly playable.  I've just killed sledge and then been to the Arid Hills to find the gun parts required to complete a job from the Firestone Bounty Board.  It's a bit disappointing that on visiting the job board after returning from the mine two of the four new jobs to be found there involve collecting the parts of a gun which have been scattered around but this is a small gripe about an excellent game.

I received the game Exit for PSP through the post today.  This heralds the started of my latest gaming experiment.  For the next two months, up to and including October 16th, I am not allowing myself to play any game other than on a handheld console.  I have a PSP, a DS and a Gameboy Advance SP and am not intending to buy any new hardware so I hope none of these breaks down.

I now have four games for the PSP (one of which I've completed), one for the DS and five for the Gameboy Advance so I reckon I'll be buying some new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment