Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Legend of Battlefield: Bad Hourglass

I've been really enjoying this game today.

I got the hourglass and I did a section of the game where you have to go into the Temple of the Ocean King and get the North-West section of the sea chart before the 10 minutes in the hourglass runs out.  I had to go back outside and top up the hourglass twice because of my slowness (it needs sunlight to be replenished) and this did mean I had to do some parts again which was a bit of a pain but the game is so well made and works so beautifully that it's generally a pleasure to play.

I am now seeking out a cannon (on Cannon Island) before venturing into that North West region.  There are exploding plants which can be carried a certain distance before they explode but I have some blocks that need blowing out of my path and the plants do not have a long enough fuse for me to reach them and I have not yet worked out how to get around this.

One thing I especially like is the use of the microphone.  Sometimes it is necessary to blow out candles and at one point dust had to be removed from the map and these things were done by blowing into the microphone which I thought was an imaginative device though maybe it is common and I'm only impressed because I've played so few DS games.  Still, I liked it.

I have also now finished Battlefield: Bad Company.  I think the game played well and it got more challenging as the game went on which is a positive, but the terrain was not very varied and it was all outdoors, with a bit of moving in and out of small buildings, but no extended indoor or underground sequences.

I liked the fact that there was constant moving from on foot to in vehicle travel rather than an infantry mission then a tank mission and so on.  It gave a feeling of freedom of action.  There was one prescribed helicopter mission but you could set the chopper down and have a scout around when you wanted to or if you needed to do repairs.

The game was not too short but I might be only thinking that because my expectation for game  length have been lowered by my recently playing COD 4.  I did not actually time the game but it is worth noting that while I usually put games down and take them up again after a few weeks or months I finished this in one go so maybe it was short.

I was rubbish at finding the gold scattered around the map.  Each section of the game had 4 or 5 caches of gold in and the were about 6 sections or maybe more so there were probably between 25 and 30 to find and I found either 2 or 3 I'm not sure.  I do not really see why our team was supposed to be finding these when a) we were on foot for long periods and so had no way of carrying it and b) the point of the story was that we were trying to reach a boat which had so much gold on that what we were picking up on the way would be insignificant.

Nevertheless this was a great game with variety, sound mechanics and good shooting action so play it if you haven't already.

Also there was a very satisfying noise when you collected ammo!

No comments:

Post a Comment