Thursday 8 March 2012

Answer the Call

I played Call of Duty 4 for the first time this Week!

Okay, I'm the last person in the world to play it, or at least the last gamer, but although it was a great game I don't think I've been missing out on the best thing ever.

Please don't misinterpret the emphasis of that last paragraph - the game was great and of the games I've played there have been more worse ones than better, I just don't know what about this game makes it thought of as so special.

One serious criticism I have as far as the singleplayer campaign is concerned is the speed with which it's over.  I played with my usual level of incompetence and died many times but still imagined I was in the first half of the game when I realised that it was finishing!

Nevertheless, I found it totally playable and my inability to put it down might explain in part why I got to the end so fast.  The mechanic whereby aiming down the sites lines up the gun on the enemy as long as you are nearly aiming at him was very useful.

At the start of the game I failed to get through the short assault cause within the allotted minute first time and was only fast enough to be considered a rookie second time, but I played at "regular" level anyway: how would I ever improve playing on the easiest difficulty?

Regular is the second easiest of 4 levels (for those who don't know). I cannot imagine what some parts of the game must be like on the highest level.  The section where you have to storm a TV station was total chaos and I'm surprised such a hard section was so close to the start of the game.  I died many times there, of course.

To summarise, it is excellent, don't miss it, but don't expect it to change your life either.

Now I'm going back to Racedriver: Grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment