Saturday 31 March 2012

Lego Indiana Jones The Original Adventures

What a shame.

There is so much to love about this game but playing it gets so annoying that I'm probably not going to persist.

The characters are brilliantly brought to life and have a lot of personality.  They move and interact so amusingly that I really want to like the game.

Sadly the gameplay is poor.  Quite often the character you are controlling will pass out of sight.  An arrow appears showing where they are but you can't see the area around them properly so cannot tell what they're doing.  At one point in the first chapter Indy was walking along a narrow path around the edge of a crocodile infested pool but was out of sight more often than in sight so how could I preventing from falling in and being attacked?  So much work and love has obviously gone into this game so it's surprising that anything as poor as this is left in.

The game has two modes;  Freeplay Mode and Story Mode.  I really want to play through all of the game in Story Mode but there are loads of things that you cannot do and it's frustrating.  Freeplay Mode feels a bit like cheat mode, or at least not quite like the game proper.  Perhaps this is something I just need to get used to.

One thing I will say in favour of this game is that going through three movies worth of story there is masses of content and loads to explore and lots of characters to unlock.

I still find it hard to recommend, though.

On a different subject, I have acquired a Nintendo DSi this week (I was playing Lego IJ on the PS3).  The DSi looks great and I will be playing on that and reporting back shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment