Friday 2 March 2012

Racedriver Grid

I have been sickened constantly by this game in the last week and I love it!

There is no more disgusting feeling than the soul crushing sensation I get when I crash into a barrier at 45 degrees and the screen turns red, telling me that I've smashed up my car and it's race over.  When it happens my head goes slowly down and to the left (without fail) as I look away from the evidence of my own pathetic incompetence displayed on the screen.  I hate myself!

But this is more that counteracted by the pleasure this game doles out.  Sometimes just getting a corner right is enough.  Driving nimbly round a pile up to go up four places in the running order is also great.  Winning a race or event is indescribable - I know it was worth the pain.

The variety of events is one of this game's strengths.  From demolition derbys to precision Touge battles almost all disciplines are well done.  The possible exception is the drift events.  In NFS Shift I complained that they were too hard but in this game, once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to rack up the points and win.

My only other complaint is the shortness of seasons.  I have never actually counted but it seems season is ending after ever 4 or 5 events.  At the end of each season you're offered the chance to enter the le Mans 24 hour race.  It's very long and you could spend a third of your driving time competing in it if you always excepted the challenge.

These negatives are trivial.  This game is of similar quality to NFS Hot Pursuit and is definitely the best of pure racing simulators I have written about.

No comments:

Post a Comment