Tuesday 10 January 2012

Call Of Duty 3

When I think of Call of Duty 3 I imagine it to be a forgotten COD, between the breakthrough title Call of Duty 2 and the blockbuster COD 4: Modern Warfare.  The evidence would suggest that I've got it wrong.

According the to figures in Edge 233, COD 3 outsold COD 2 and COD 2: The Big Red One put together.

I only played COD 3 for the first time very recently.  For all it's sales it does seem like an extension of COD 2 with some of the magic taken away.  The gameplay is undeniably great, though.

There are a few tank sections, a few jeep driving sections (I managed to get lost for quite a while during one of these) and one anti-tank gun section.  Happily though, the infantry sections are the meat and drink of the game and are as intense as ever.

I played the game on Hard difficulty (which is not the hardest) and found it a real challenge.  Often my own stupidity was the problem.  I might be able to see three guys cowering behind furniture up ahead of me and be unconcerned because they weren't shooting at me, yet I'd be oblivious to the indicator lighting up red on the left hand side because the shooter was outside my field of vision.  I died this way and in similarly stupid ways many times.

For all the enjoyment in the game I was always relieved to get to the end of a mission.  Having to start again from the beginning of one was always a killer.  There was an assault on a house in one of the British sections.  I felt as if I got out of that jeep and walked up that road 100 times...

If anyone reading this has not played Call of Duty 3 then I strongly recommend a quick trip back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment