Tuesday 24 January 2012

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Just a simple skirmish. Me as the Nazis; the AI as the Americans on normal difficulty, what could possibly go wrong?

I actually started quite well and took several of the strategic points on my half of the map, but in concentrating on that I neglected development and found that when the Americans came poking around I still only had the most basic units to call on.

The story of the battle from that point on was of me defending my base and the Yanks pinning me back. I managed to get buildings up to provide me with infantry and light and heavy armour and tried to fight back but the enemy was always a step ahead of me in development.

After I had been struggling for a while the Americans brought forward their Sherman Tank with rocket launchers mounted on top. The rockets came in a barrage and seemed both incendiary and explosive and damaged buildings and units alike. They could fire at my structures from a reasonable distance so from this point on I was compelled, whenever I managed to get a heavy tank built to send it forward into areas I did not control to attack the fiery monster and my armour would soon get taken out.

Manpower was short, though fuel and munitions were plentiful, so when I lost my infantry producing building it was a mistake to rebuild it as the units it produced were manpower hungry relative to their strength. I should have stuck to using resources to build vehicles, especially as I repeatedly produced basic infantry and sent them out into the increasingly empty field in front of my base to man mortars left behind by long-dead soldiers; they would be vulnerable and quickly die.

The building which produces light armour was next to be destroyed and by now the American forces so seriously outnumbered the occasional units that I produced that the end was inevitable.

It came soon, my base being the last building to fall. Total annihilation. Total humiliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment