Tuesday 24 January 2012

Old Vegas; New Revolution

I've bought and played Rainbow Six: Vegas for the first time, recently and found it to be a game ahead of it's time.

There's no sign of the health bars and medkits favoured by many of it's contemporaries.  Instead being shot produces a blurred and brightened screen which fades, provided it doesn't happen again too soon.

Most striking of all is the cover and shoot system.  Almost exactly the same as the one in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with the view slipping seemlessly to third person if L1 is pressed when you are near cover.  It works pretty robustly, too, though on one or two occasions my guy walked out from behind his cover when I had been wanting him to turn and shoot.  Perhaps this was not the first game to feature such a system but it's the earliest one I've ever played.


Sadly, despite these excellent aspects, I find the long, corridory sections (which have to be repeated if you die), a bit frustrating.  As a result I have not got too far with this yet but I will come back to it.

As for Human Revolution, I am yet to finish it but I went back to it last night after a dew days away and went to bed late as a result.  I defy anyone to stop playing this game at the time they mean to stop playing it.  The more I play it the better it gets and I know that no other games are going to get played for at least the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment