Thursday 26 January 2012

WWE Road to WrestleMania x8

My attempts to play Road to Wrestlemania x8 on the GBA SP have not yet gone beyond the laughably incompetent.  This was my first ever attempt at a wrestling game and fighting games are not really my thing, so it was likely to end badly.

I tried the championship mode to start off with, and playing as Kane (because he has a sinister looking mask) my record so far is Fought 3 Won 0.

It did not help that I only had the cartridge and no booklet so did not initially know the controls.  The basic punch and throw moves were simple to discover.  Sometimes I persuaded Kane to follow up a throw with a slam but it was basic mashing which made it happen.

At different times I managed to get him to hold the opponent in the air or pull back his lower leg while he was on the ground (there's probably a name for this move, but I don't know what it is), and all this seemed to help my cause, judging by the movement of the bar at the to of the screen, but my not knowing how to pin the other guy down for a count was always going to be a problem.

The most entertainingly useless thing that Kane would sometimes do was slam and miss, after which he would lie face down, seemingly ignorant of the goings on around him for what seemed a ridiculous length of time, like the shy kid at school who retreated into the hood of his parker when he felt insecure.

After my three defeats I was informed that I was not worthy to compete for the championship.  I have to say I concur.

I've now looked up the controls for this game on line and I'm amazed at the different moves it's apparently possible to do.  Will I ever get round to doing them?  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment